Preparation for Employment
Employability Skills at Newfriars College
At Newfriars College, we understand the importance of preparing our young people to make the transition from education to independence and, for as many of our young people as possible, the workplace.
The Curriculum at Newfriars College aims to support our young people to:
- Work towards their personal goals and aspirations for their future.
- Enjoy a wide range of real-life opportunities to develop employability skills.
- Develop skills, attributes and knowledge that are important in the workplace.
- Access a wide range of community based opportunities including cafes and shops.
- Complete (as appropriate) qualifications that will support their next steps.
- Complete work experience – both inside and outside of College.
- Practise how to apply for a job.
- Develop skills including: confident communication, following instructions, taking responsibility, working independently and within a team, and working safely
The College’s employability curriculum has a focus on our Top 10 Employability Skills list:
- Communication at work
- Time management and punctuality
- Problem solving
- Team work/interpersonal skills
- Emotional intelligence, empathy, being caring of others, personal wellbeing
- Perseverance, motivation and coping with problems
- Strong work ethic (including respect in the workplace; dressing appropriately; being willing; continuing to learn)
- Work Experience